Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-16-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
TUPFAM

Default Gulf Stream Visa

Has anyone had a chance to see the new Visa in person? I like the layout of the 19RSD, but there aren't any available in my area.
http://www.gulfstreamrvtrailers.com/...overview/Visa/
Old 03-18-2010, 07:05 AM   #2
CampWinican

Welcome to the forum, Tupfam! Thanks for the post, did not know these even existed. Never saw one in person either, but they do look interesting!
CampWinican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
TUPFAM

Thanks for the welcome. I stumbled across an ad for them on another forum. Hopefully some of the dealers in my area will stock them soon.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:55 PM   #4
deltamark

Default Re: Gulf Stream Visa

Hello,

My wife and I have been looking for a lightweight trailer (Preferably under 3,000 lbs.) for the past few months. Have looked at r-Pods, MPG's, Jayco Hybrids, KZ Sportsmen, etc. Today we looked at the 19RSD and the 19ERD. They are nice-looking units and we may end up choosing the RSD. I am surprised by the length / weight ratio. The RSD apparently weighs in under 2,800 lbs. for such a long unit.

We have a Newfoundland dog and so want some space that we can use for the mini-moose. The bunk and dinette area seem to accomplish that. My wife liked the unit and of course that is critical. At first, she thought it to be too small, but after envisioning how we typically would use it, felt that it was nice and would meet our needs.

The bathroom is nice ... has a medicine cabinet, separate shower with shallow tub and foot-flush toilet. The kitchen double sink is nice. There are plenty of lights in the unit. There is a shelf that you could use at the head of the bed that seems like it will be convenient. Kitchen storage is not as plentiful as we would like, but there seems to be many other storage areas in the RSD. The kitchen dinette table in the RSD is a bit smallish.

According to the sales rep, the RSD we saw was at an RV show and apparently took a beating because there were a number of minor issues with it. The front door latch wasn't properly installed and caused an issue when opening / closing the door; A grab handle on the outside of the unit was half off, looked like it was only glued on. A curtain for the bedroom area was completely down, seemed to pull out of the ceiling. The panel cover for the refrigerator had come off, again appeared to be only glued on; Some parts of the "Visa" decals on the ERD were already coming off. What I am most concerned about though, is that the propane gas pipe under the unit already has quite a bit of rust on it. Don't know if this is normal, but the unit was manufactured in February 2010, so it didn't seem like it should have that much rust on it. I was thinking about contacting Gulf Stream to inquire.

In any case, we do like the Visas overall. Good-looking, unique, lightweight and I believe they will be a good value if the construction quality proves to be good.

Look forward to hearing any other thoughts on the unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUPFAM
Has anyone had a chance to see the new Visa in person? I like the layout of the 19RSD, but there aren't any available in my area.
http://www.gulfstreamrvtrailers.com/...overview/Visa/
deltamark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
TUPFAM

Thanks for the info. Did the floor feel solid to you? I have been in a few ultra-lites that the floor had a 'spring' feel when walked on. I like the idea that there is no rubber roof to mess with. Also, did you notice if the front bed can be lifted for storage access?
Old 03-24-2010, 11:00 PM   #6
deltamark

Default Visa Reply

The floor did seem solid to me. My wife and I both spent a fair amount of time in the camper. She would have said something if she noticed it.

I might be mistaken, but I think there was storage under the bed. It may have been part of the storage that is accessed from the outside door. Looked at so many units lately, I might be getting that mixed up though.

What other trailers have you considered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUPFAM
Thanks for the info. Did the floor feel solid to you? I have been in a few ultra-lites that the floor had a 'spring' feel when walked on. I like the idea that there is no rubber roof to mess with. Also, did you notice if the front bed can be lifted for storage access?
Old 03-25-2010, 06:53 PM   #7
TUPFAM

Default Re: Visa Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltamark
What other trailers have you considered?
Well, we just bought the Conquest last May and are happy with it so far. Before we bought it we looked at a KZ Sportsmen LE242S. I didn't like the way the floor felt and didn't care for the dealer. We also looked at an Aerolite 21QS, an Outback 21RS and several other bunk models (we have 2 kids). On all the bunk models, neither of my kids felt comfortable in the upper bunk , plus, neither could get up into the bunk on their own. The Conquest has 2 bunks that run lengthwise with a wardrobe in between them and a third bunk across the front, on top of the wardrobe. I also loved the Rockwood 2501SS floorplan, but it was way out of our price range limit. I like the style of the Forest River R-Pod, Heartland MPG and T@DA but haven't seen one with the right floorplan for us. The Visa 19RSD might work for us. Maybe in a year or two......
Old 03-26-2010, 07:57 AM   #8
rbyham

Default For lack of a drawer :-(

Saw the RSD last weekend. Really liked the size, weight, and look of everything. Yes, nice bathroom for 19-footer. Floor felt fine to us. Overall box felt solid but the interior did give a sense of being built light. But the big negative for us was lack of kitchen storage. Not only are there very little cabinet space but there were zero drawers. Not sure what GS expects us all to do with silverware in the kitchen but ya don't want that stuff bouncing around. Can't get wife to consider it without at least a silverware drawer. I currently have an older 17' Komfort that has at least 7 drawers. Oh well will keep looking... BTW, lowest price I have on it so far is $14,800. so don';t fall for that $18,900 pitch...
rbyham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:47 PM   #9
TUPFAM

Thanks for the info. I agree about the bathroom. A lot of trailers in that size range have a wet bath. I also agree about the lack of storage in the kitchen. Even though we have plenty of storage with our current TT , we keep our silverware in one of these http://www.kohls.com/upgrade/webstor...c-000423bb4e79. It keeps everything organized and makes it easy to bring everything outside. It is about the size of a lunchbox and stores easily in the cabinet above the sink. So lack of a drawer wouldn't be a deal breaker for us. Good luck in your search.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:36 PM   #10
deltamark

Default Re: For lack of a drawer :-(

Just curious ... in which state was the dealer where you got your price? Was it Ohio, by chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbyham
BTW, lowest price I have on it so far is $14,800. so don';t fall for that $18,900 pitch...
Old 03-30-2010, 04:51 PM   #11
TUPFAM

Default Re: For lack of a drawer :-(

Quote:
Just curious ... in which state was the dealer where you got your price? Was it Ohio, by chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbyham
BTW, lowest price I have on it so far is $14,800. so don';t fall for that $18,900 pitch...
I can't speak for rbyham, but I got a quote of $15,333.00 for the 19 RSD from Wholesale RV Club out of Cincinnati.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:09 PM   #12
Doctor Debit

Default 19ERD

I did get to look at one in Cincinnati. It totally lived up to my expectations from researching it on the web. That one was sold, but put down a deposit for the next one coming in. Construction seems very solid, and layout is fantastic for 2 person camping. My only disappointment was that there is no room for an oven. I may replace the microwave with a micro/convection combo unit. Looking forward to summer. Web price as of a few weeks ago was 15,200.

My last RV was a KZ hybrid (20 foot). It was decent overall, but the floor did feel flimsy.

Hey while I'm here, any Visa owners using a generator? The Yamaha 2400i doesn't officially state that it will power a camper A/C, but lots of bloggers say they are using one and it works fine. Since the Visa has an 11.5 unit rather than 13.5, I would think this would be OK, but wondering if anyone has tried it. I could go with 2 of the Honda 2K's but that would be a lot of extra work if I could get by with one 2400i.
Doctor Debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #13
deltamark

Default Re: 19ERD

Thanks Doc. I bit the bullet and purchased one from the Cincinnati Dealer, as well. We pick it up this weekend. Yeah, that low position for the microwave might be a little inconvenient, but we often camp primitive and run off the battery, so can't usually use the microwave anyway. I think it's a very cool-looking unit. I hope it tows well with my V6 Saturn Vue! We should keep in touch and share experiences!

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Debit
I did get to look at one in Cincinnati. It totally lived up to my expectations from researching it on the web. That one was sold, but put down a deposit for the next one coming in. Construction seems very solid, and layout is fantastic for 2 person camping. My only disappointment was that there is no room for an oven. I may replace the microwave with a micro/convection combo unit. Looking forward to summer. Web price as of a few weeks ago was 15,200.

My last RV was a KZ hybrid (20 foot). It was decent overall, but the floor did feel flimsy.

Hey while I'm here, any Visa owners using a generator? The Yamaha 2400i doesn't officially state that it will power a camper A/C, lots of bloggers say they are using one and it works fine. Since the Visa has an 11.5 unit rather than 13.5, I would think this would be OK, but wondering if anyone has tried it. I could go with 2 of the Honda 2K's but that would be a lot of extra work if I could get by with one 2400i.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:16 PM   #14
Doctor Debit

Default 19ERD

Maybe that was yours that we looked at. We are still waiting on ours to come in.

I thought I set this up to notify me when there were posts, but it doesn't seem to do that. My email is [email protected]. Let me know how you like it. Haven't made up my mind about the generator yet, but leaning toward the Yamaha 2400i.
Doctor Debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #15
deltamark

Default GS 19RSD

Hey there Doc,

Picked up our Visa this weekend and really like it! Ahh, the new camper smell! It towed well, even though I only have a V6 Saturn Vue with 3,500 lb. towing capacity. My only concern was that with the weight distribution system I had installed, it sits pretty low and easily bottoms out on little inclines / hills / speed bumps if I'm not real careful. (I learned to be real careful, real quick!)

Inside, the floor feels nice and solid. The unit seems to be very quiet. We couldn't hear too much from the outside world. I'm not in love with the dinette table that comes with it. I'm not a real wide guy, but had to kind of work my way in and around it to sit down. Am probably going to replace it with a portable table.

The fridge is excellent. Large, with a separate freezer and a black light inside! The stove is a two burner. Had some concerns previously about kitchen storage space, but don't think that's going to be a problem. There is an extra storage slot under the fridge where a utensils drawer will easily fit. The closet space is generous and there seems to be enough storage for us underneath the bed and dinette. Bathroom is so much better than what we had. Has a deeper tub than most lightweight RV's we looked at. Bath also has a medicine cabinet and more storage than we'll probably need.

The windows seem to let in a pretty good amount of light. The privacy shades are are nice to have. The bed is good, but isn't a walk-around, so that can be problematic after a few glasses of wine; - )

We're not going to use the top bunk for sleeping, so it became an instant "throw-stuff-up-there-for-storage spot. The bunk sits a little low though, when not propped up. I'm going to have to find a way to keep it propped up when there's weight on it, being that my wife already bumped her head pretty good.

The unit doesn't have a pull-down step. The step down is recessed, inside the camper, which was a little dangerous for my wife who doesn't always watch where she's going. The LED lights are on the outside are cool. Four stabilizer jacks are fine. The unit has a hitch light, which should come in handy.

Since we only spent one night in it, I don't have it all down yet, so can post more in the future as I become accustomed to it. Planning on camping again this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Debit
Maybe that was yours that we looked at. We are still waiting on ours to come in.

I thought I set this up to notify me when there were posts, but it doesn't seem to do that. My email is [email protected]. Let me know how you like it. Haven't made up my mind about the generator yet, but leaning toward the Yamaha 2400i.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:43 PM   #16
TUPFAM

Congratulations on the new TT. It sounds like it will work well for you. The step inside of the trailer sounds like it is going to take some time to get used to. Keep us posted on any issues or mods that come up. Good luck.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #17
j233

Default Re: GS 19RSD

Quote:
Hey there Doc,

Picked up our Visa this weekend and really like it! Ahh, the new camper smell! It towed well, even though I only have a V6 Saturn Vue with 3,500 lb. towing capacity. My only concern was that with the weight distribution system I had installed, it sits pretty low and easily bottoms out on little inclines / hills / speed bumps if I'm not real careful. (I learned to be real careful, real quick!)
Congratulations on your Visa ! I am very interested in your experience; saw the same model in January. I think we would prefer the one with U-shape dinette in the front and bunk beds at rear but I don't think GS has released this one yet.
Have a few questions - How does it tow ? You mentioned that your VUE had no problems pulling the trailer - is Visa's shape helpful? How is the ground clearance ? The VISA sits close to the ground, which is great from towing perspective but can be a pain at times (dump/gas stations)
Any complaints about fit and finish, interior as well as exterior ?
Does it have a propane line to plug a portable BBQ into ?
Sorry to bother with the questions but your are actually the first VISA owner I heard of !

J233
j233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:14 PM   #18
deltamark

Hello J233,

I think the Visa's shape was helpful in towing. I previously pulled a 1999 Cub Areolight Hybrid which was a about 2,100 UVW and I notice little difference when pulling the Vias, which is just over 2,700 lbs Dry weight. As I mentioned, I do have a weight distribution system now with the Visa and didn't have one when pulling my Cub.

The Visa does seem to have a low ground clearance compared to many other RV's we looked at. My problem the first time out was, I believe the weight distribution system bottoming out on an incline, not the actual trailer. I would be hesitant though to pull the Visa into some of the more primitive areas that I've taken my Cub into.

No complaints yet about the fit or finish. Interior seems fine. Everything seems to fit together well. I like the gloss exterior finish of the Visa. The exterior seems to be well put together, as well. I've only taken it out once so far, though. Am planning another trip next weekend.

II just went out and looked and the propane line underneath does have a spot to screw in a BBQ. I wasn't aware of this previously.

Glad to answer any questions. I also was unable to finD any other owners when I was shopping. Glad to help!

"Have a few questions - How does it tow ? You mentioned that your VUE had no problems pulling the trailer - is Visa's shape helpful? How is the ground clearance ? The VISA sits close to the ground, which is great from towing perspective but can be a pain at times (dump/gas stations)
Any complaints about fit and finish, interior as well as exterior ?
Does it have a propane line to plug a portable BBQ into ?
Sorry to bother with the questions but your are actually the first VISA owner I heard of !"

J233[/quote]
Old 04-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #19
j233

Quote:
Hello J233,

I think the Visa's shape was helpful in towing. I previously pulled a 1999 Cub Areolight Hybrid which was a about 2,100 UVW and I notice little difference when pulling the Vias, which is just over 2,700 lbs Dry weight. As I mentioned, I do have a weight distribution system now with the Visa and didn't have one when pulling my Cub.
Thank you for the info, really appreciate !

Did you notice any difference in towing mileage between the Visa and your Cub ? My hope is that the aerodynamic shape of the Visa has positive impact on the mileage too

J233
j233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:34 PM   #20
deltamark

In two trips with the Visa, I got about 13.5 MPG pulling with my V6 2007 Saturn Vue. Can't recall what kind of mileage I got when pulling the Cub, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't much higher, if it was at all. Again, the Visa is several hundred lbs. heavier than the Cub, so its aerodynamics must have helped, at at least a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j233
Quote:
Hello J233,

Did you notice any difference in towing mileage between the Visa and your Cub ? My hope is that the aerodynamic shape of the Visa has positive impact on the mileage too
J233