Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Go Back   Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels and Motorhomes > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-27-2023, 10:37 AM   #1
Live4boating

Default Roof leak onto murphy bed area

Hello, sorry for the long thread, but we could use help! i bought a slightly used 2022 enlighten 19bh in Dec 22 in Dallas area, with front curved roof and front murphy bed. AC is positioned partially over folded out murphy bed and floor. We’ve had recurring leaks that camping world at this point cant find. Here are the details: In Dec, camped during torrential downpour. Left camper for a few hours. Upon return water leaking in through AC, inside AC, but also water on front shelf area in front of camper. Bed soaked. Took to camping world and they resealed around AC and cleaned out around AC. Next torrential downpour, bed once again soaked from rain and also shelf above bed, but we were not inside during so dont know where leaking. Camping world seals everywhere they think water could come in. This continues several more times, while in storage not camping. Last time it happened its not raining, family is camping in it and water leaked in from AC which was on this time. CW said ac filter was dirty, cleaned filter. Just had torrential rain and once again bed soaked and shelf has water on it, but its in storage so didn't see where rain is coming in. Called camping world again and am waiting for manager to call me back. Camping world can’t recreate leak because it seems to only happen during torrential rain. They think we have 2 separate issues. AC leak which they say is fixed and the other unidentified leak. Expecting big rain this weekend so we will try to see if we can identify ourselves. So frustrating! Any ideas on where to look for a leak like this would be very helpful!
Live4boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 10:19 AM   #2
RY469

Sounds typical of Camping World with their high turn-over rate of "technicians." If they don't have a rain booth to water test your unit, then I'd suggest a garden hose on the roof (and maybe two people) as a good way to track down the issue. Have you tried that?
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 01:11 PM   #3
Live4boating

Quote:
Originally Posted by RY469 View Post
Sounds typical of Camping World with their high turn-over rate of "technicians." If they don't have a rain booth to water test your unit, then I'd suggest a garden hose on the roof (and maybe two people) as a good way to track down the issue. Have you tried that?
Yes, tried hose to see if we can get it to recreate without luck. It seems like only a torrential downpour causes the leak. Leak definitely makes water sit on shelf on front cap over murphy bed, which soaks through onto bed. So frustrating!
Live4boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 05:42 PM   #4
RY469

Based on your comment, I assume you have a Class-C unit. That front cap cantilevers in the wind when you drive, is not the best design for water integrity. Typically you will want to reseal the seams for the top of the front cap. Dicor on top, all the way across the roof line, and DOW (99) on the front seams down each side. I've seen water intrusion start all the way back at the rain gutters travel to the front of the cap (and onto the shelf). Good luck, lot's of resealing helps . . .
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 06:24 PM   #5
Chuck v

Rich,

The 19 BH is obviously a travel trailer -- but even if you did not look it up from the first post, the description of a "Murphy bed" should easily preclude any cab over front area configuration from your thoughts...

Also, I did not see anything from the PO posts that would indicate that it only leaks when traveling...but the Dicor and DOW sealing materials might be good products to use if the water entry point is discovered.

Thanks for your input!

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 06:29 PM   #6
Just two

Heard of screws that were too long used in the slide area penetrating the roof vinyl. They found they after using a garden hose and sectioning off the area tested.
Was on a Thor, they must have ran out of the right length screws and grabbed longer ones. Good luck.
Just two is offline   Reply With Quote