View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 01:50 PM   #15
RJ82much

I just visited the Gulf Stream factory a week ago (It's still there!). Unfortunately, I didn't take the factory tour because it is given only every-other-day. I requested a face-to-face with Scott Pullin and he came to reception where we talked for at least a half hour. According to Scott, you will not be able to purchase new diesel units because the market is too saturated. Other motorized products are available & he confirmed towable is doing very well.

I also met with Jim Creech who has been there a billion years & seems to be ready for the next billion. They confirmed that Aaron is no longer with the company - difficult cuts had to be made in the business climate.

I was there for several issues that I only trust the factory to handle. For the 1st time, assistance was declined, but in a very courteous manner. I was however, referred to a small local shop named RV One. Scott called ahead to pave the way. Dave at RV One is very knowledgeable, & in fact GAVE me the replacements for broken parts of my FM antenna. It was the estimated charges for slide work that was declined by GS. If the internal factory "slide expert" employee wasn't on vacation, I had the feeling that perhaps the problems would have been taken care of within the factory.

Scott also got me immediately into the local Chevrolet repair center for an inspection on a strange motor behavior. The service manger himself was waiting for me as I arrived.

Further conditions that I noted was that the "camping area" was completely empty, though electric & water were on. The pool was closed ("expensive repairs" are being deferred). The visitor lounge building was locked. When I got it opened, I discovered it is being used as office space, but by who is unclear since it was vacant. The country club showers are accesible but have not been maintained for some time (clean, but could use some repairs & replacement). There were not many vehicles in the corporate office parking lot, but the mail-guy still makes deliveries!

It's my belief that they are surviving. Until you read that Scott Pullin has taken a position elsewhere, I think there isn't real cause for alarm, unless you positively, absolutely have to have a brand new Gulf Stream diesel - then it is "Ruhh-rohh"

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote